Sunday, July 31, 2011

and here it begins...

Welcome everyone!

For those of you who don't know me very well, I have too many hobbies. Sewing is one of them. I come from a long line of perfectionist quilters with straight seams and exact corners. I love quilts (one can never have too many blankets) but am not particularly fond of the calico prints that I remember seeing in the fabric shops as a child. I am recently tackling a major garage/house clean up project and eliminating so many of the random things we haven't touched for years. In the process I stumbled across my first quilt from age 6 I think (still unfinished). It is a set of nine patch squares in pastel pink, green, blue and yellow. It is so far from what I like today but I can't quite seem to part with it and almost feel obligated to finish it.

When I visit my grandmother our conversations always make their way towards quilting. I love the opportunity to see what she has created from her stash and hear her stories of how she learned to quilt and the regular quilting Bee's that surrounded her childhood. I seize opportunities to sew and craft with friends any chance I can get and have longed to be a part of a quilting bee. Unfortunately, I usually have time to do things like this in the middle of the night (I also come from a long line of night owls) which isn't particularly conducive to group projects.

As I was looking up a couple of books on Amazon I discovered Block Party (I finally sucked it up and ordered a copy for myself which is supposed to arrive tomorrow). While I am a big internet user I am sort of an anti-blogger, I never realized how many virtual "Bee's" were going on on this world wide web. I figured if they could do it why couldn't I. And that's where all of you come in...thanks for being as excited about this as I am!

I am married and have a very busy 2 year old boy. We live in Santa Cruz, CA. My interest is in things that are modern, simple, an organized mess with sort of a vintage vibe. I am in love with quilts that express those elements. Denise Schmidt's quilts are among my favorite right now.

I look forward to seeing the amazing quilts that emerge from this group!

Heidi

2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is Tara. I am just trying to clarify something about the fabrics. I was thinking that each person would be given colors and than make the blocks from stash that we have in those colors. Am I right in understanding that the host of the month buys all the fabric divides it and sends it to each person in the group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara,

    It will depend on the host of the month. For the most part though the idea is that the Host will be responsible for gathering and distributing the fabric for the month (the quilt of that month ultimately belongs to that host). Some host's may authorize or request the use of additional fabrics from our individual stash...or on the flip side, some host's may not want any additional fabrics introduced with the ones they will be sending.

    ReplyDelete