Monday, October 31, 2011

NOVEMBER QUILTING BLOCK


So i'm super excited to be hosting this months block. As you know from our "get to know you" posts, I have two young children (2mo & 17mo) so most of my days are spent juggling the two and trying to keep them busy and happy (and to just survive through the day). We have started teaching my oldest, Jayden her ABC's and to count. So as I was looking through trying to decide what to do for this month when I came across a picture of an ABC quilt and thought that might be a fun way for her to become more familiar with them.




I want the quilt to be fun, crazy and full of color. I do want some color flow so I have chosen a simple grey which I would like everyone to use as a background material in some way. Use as much or as little of it as you would like but please be sure to use at least a little. I will need everyone to sew two blocks each so that I can get the whole alphabet sewn for the quilt. Above are the examples of what I came up with, be sure to let your creative side run wild. I want the quilt to be crazy fun, a good kids quilt:) As you will soon see (sending out martial tomorrow 11/2) I have only sent an 15"x15" inch square, I would like everyone to pull from their own scrap fabric to come up with and make their letter blocks (I have a list of who is to do what letter below) and/or to create their background. Get the letters on however you want, I used the iron on stuff (can you tell I haven't been quilting long....I have no idea what they call the stuff). Make them big or small, crazy fonts or whatever. This I am hoping will ensure unusual, colorful, creative, fun blocks for each individual letter for the kids to have a great time learning their alphabet. The finished sown block should be 11"x11".
I pulled letters out of a hat and assigned them to your names so that none would be next to each other in case the two blocks were sown in a similar fashion.
SO....I need an 11"x11" finished block with your assigned letters done anyway you want. Just be sure to use some of the material I sent. Can't wait to see what you all come up with!! Let me know if you've got questions.

Amy: F, K
Aynsley:S, L
Cheryse: AB, P
Heidi:T, I
Jennie:W, C
Katherine:X, H
Leah:N, G
Marryanne:Q, D
Rebecca:U, J
Tara:M, V
Terry:R, YZ (YZ need to be placed on the same block to fit the whole alphabet on the quilt)
Valerie:E, O

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea! I got my material today, now to start thinking....

    ReplyDelete