Sunday, October 23, 2011

Presenting the Make it up Quilt!



Here it is! Following in the overall theme of improvisation, as I laid out the squares, I realized that it was just about the perfect size for my youngest girl's crib/soon to be toddler bed. So I scrapped my plan to make it twin size, and went the toddler route.

Since it was so small - 12 squares- it went together really quickly. As you can see, I added a row of 5 inch squares across the middle to give the eye a (somewhat busy) place to rest, and I think that really helped solidify the quilt. I used Warm and Natural batting, and I raided my stash and found a piece of the orange daisy fabric that was exactly the right size for the backing. It was meant to be! I quilted it with a simple square pattern, the batting I used only needed quilting every 10 inches, so I didn't have to do a lot. I will say that because of the wonky lines it was hard to quilt straight- so a lot of my quilting lines aren't. But my daughter won't care, and I can always claim I did it on purpose. :) And because there are so many seams in the blocks, it's hard to see the quilting lines anyway.

Here's a not so great picture of it in her bed (the light by her bed is no good!)



And one so you can see the backing.



This was a really fun project, and she loves her new quilt. Thanks so much everyone for making it with me!

1 comment: