Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I am Amy

Hi, I'm Amy and I hate making quilts. But I love having quilts. I am easily distracted you see. (As I have been typing this sentence I got side tracked for a whole 3 minutes trying to remove a piece of lint from my computer keyboard. It's still there taunting me, hiding sneakily under the "w".) It's hard for me to commit myself to big projects. I get bored and want to move on to something newer and shinier. This only doing one block at a time thing really appeals to me and my ADD. I love the idea of having something new and different to get excited about every month!

I have been sewing since I was 6 (the same 9-patch project as Heidi). I was a mini perfectionist and I hated learning to sew. (Let's recap, on this quilting/sewing blog I have admitted to hating quilting and sewing. I'm about to redeem myself...) Everything changed when I was about 13--I made my first bag. The effort it took to refine my sewing skills was worth it because I found an end result that I loved. Since then, I have made a lot of bags--some more awesome than others. I would describe my style as vintage modern. I like old things but in simple and understated ways. I like color gradients, repetition and tonal patterns. I don't like purple. I'm not sure why. I just don't. This week I can't decide which is better, the vintage riding boots I just scored in a local shop or the shiny white high-top sneakers that are on their way to me via snail mail.

When I'm not doodling new bag designs or waiting by my mailbox for my new issue of Lucky magazine to arrive, I am probably daydreaming about extravagant holidays to far off destinations with my friends, stalking some pretty cotton summer dress on Anthropologie's website or cuddling on my couch with my dog Noe.

No comments:

Post a Comment